Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Performance Reviews

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Do academic staff have any say in the criteria and methods of performance reviews in their units?

The policy (ASPP Chapter 10) also requires academic staff participation “in establishing the criteria and defining the methods of academic staff performance review to be used in the unit”.

Are annual performance reviews required?

Academic staff are to be reviewed annually in a manner appropriate to their work setting and responsibilities. Absent a review document in an employee’s personnel file, it shall be assumed that the employee’s performance has been at least satisfactory. Once each year a staff member may request a written performance review from the supervisor regardless of the method of review used by the work unit as a whole. The campus-wide policy on Performance Management is available at See Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP) Chapter 10: Performance Reviews for details.

What information should be in my personnel file?

If they exist, the following should be included in an employee’s personnel file (see Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP), Chapter 11):

  • Letter of application and supporting documents
  • Letters of reference; however, where letters of reference are provided under assurances of confidentiality, special treatment of such letters is required
  • Letters of offer, negotiation, and appointment
  • Letters of acceptance
  • All position description information, including Position Vacancy Listings
  • Performance reviews and responses
  • Letters of reappointment, promotion, and change in appointment status
  • Notification of salary changes and title changes
  • Documents relating to termination of appointment, including resignations, retirement, and emeritus status

What role do accomplishment forms (or activities/performance reports) play in renewing our yearly contracts?

Ask your supervisor or unit director or administrator. Performance review methods are determined at the department/center/unit level. In units where they are used, accomplishment forms can provide documentation for consideration and discussion during performance reviews and help build the record of performance to be considered during merit reviews and promotions.

If my unit does not require a performance report, may I self-report?

The campus policy on academic staff performance reviews (ASPP Chapter 10) states “Academic staff may at any time document their professional and other work-related activities by preparing an activities and accomplishments report, updated curriculum vitae, position description, or other form of self-reporting. Upon request, these documents shall be placed in the staff member’s personnel file.”

Rate Changes, Job Security, and Other Appointment Information

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How can I get a raise?

A raise, also known as a change or base adjustment most commonly results from:

  • Promotion: A promotion is a prefix change to your title as a part of your natural career progression.
  • Performance: Recognition of exceptional performance
  • Change in duties: Change-in-duties base adjustments require a substantive change in the duties and responsibilities of the position. The change has to be qualitative rather than quantitative.
  • Market factor: There are three types of market base adjustments:
    • Outside Offer (offer from an employer outside the UW System)
    • Preventive (to alleviate a serious retention problem)
    • Competitive (to avoid the development of a serious retention problem)
  • Salary inequity

The pay adjustment policy is available at

What is an Extraordinary Salary Range?

An Extraordinary Salary Range (ESR) is an approved range that is beyond the assigned range for a title. The ESR option can be established to increase the salary range for a title series (e.g. Clinical Anesthetist), a portion of a title series (Nurse Practitioners within the Clinical Nurse Specialist Series), or a unique role within a title. Justification for an ESR includes market data on comparable positions in the external market.

Although the salary range structure is designed to accommodate general market demands, there are certain positions which require the approval of an extraordinary salary range in order to address documented recruitment and retention needs. In the event the college/school/division finds evidence than an official salary range does not adequately enable then to compete for table in a specific position, the college/school/division should work with the Office of Human Resources to determine if an ESR is needed to address the recruitment or retention need.

The Extraordinary Salary Range policy is available at

What is the process for establishing an Extraordinary Salary Range?

If you are in a position that has comparable parallels in the external market (1) for which either a recent salary survey exists or for which salary data could be collected and (2) if you know there are recruitment and retention issues, then you may be able to document the need for an ESR.

Gather the information you have available and discuss with your immediate supervisor or, if necessary, your chair, director or dean. Subsequently, consultation will take place between the chair, dean/director and/or the HR representative and the Office of Human Resources regarding the need for and justification of a request. New or additional market data may be required. If OHR agrees that the request is justified, they will forward the request and supporting documentation to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources at UW System Administration for final review and approval.

If approved, the midpoint of the ESR salary range will be established based on the market data submitted for comparable positions. Category A pay ranges have an established standard 50% “range spread”, i.e., the minimum plus 50% equals the maximum. To do the calculation once the midpoint has been established, multiply it by 80% to get the minimum and then multiply the minimum by 150% to get the maximum. For example, a midpoint of $50,000 would have a minimum of $40,000 ($50,000 X 0.8) and a maximum of $60,000 ($40,000 X 1.5).

When am I eligible for promotion?

You are eligible for promotion to the next prefix level within your title series when you meet the criteria for that prefix. For promotion criteria, see Criteria for Prefixes, Scope and Levels at (Unclassified Title Guidelines).  See also Distinguished Prefix Definition and Guidelines.

What are the intellectual property rights of an academic staff member?

Academic staff are afforded the same protections as faculty members. A complete guide is available through the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education:

In general, federal law and regulations provide that the University has first right to retain title to any inventions conceived or made in whole or in part during federally funded research. The University of Wisconsin-Madison has designated the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF: as its patent management organization for this purpose. Federal law and regulations further provide a single policy document and uniform policies for virtually all federal grants and contracts. Computer programs which are patentable are covered by the federal law as are plants protectable under the Plant Variety Protection Act.

If, after disclosure to WARF, and equity review by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education, it is determined that federal funds did not contribute to the invention, and there are no specific written agreements or policies to the contrary, the inventor is free to dispose of the rights to the invention in the manner of his or her own choosing. If WARF has expressed an interest in protecting this invention the inventors, at this point, can choose if they want to work with WARF.

What is the process and timing for requesting a title change?

Detailed campus policy, including criteria and process for academic staff rate and/or title changes, is addressed in Chapter 10 of UW-Madison Human Resource policies

Information concerning unclassified titles and prefixes, their definitions/criteria, and assigned salary ranges (where applicable) is available in the Unclassified Title Guideline:

The School or College determines when rate/title change requests are accepted during the year. According to campus policy, the effective date for approved changes can be no earlier than the first of the month after the dean’s office receives the request. Consult with your supervisor and your department administrator to plan your request.

What are the options for increased job security?

•Fixed-term, multiple-year appointment is a form of fixed-term renewable appointment made for more than one year. The length of the term is specified in writing. This type of extended appointment may be especially appropriate for individuals on multiple-year grants.

•Fixed-term rolling-horizon is a form of fixed-term appointment that extends daily for the term specified in writing. The term may be for one or more years. (ASPP 2.01.A.2).

•Indefinite appointments is an appointment with permanent status and for an unlimited term. (ASPP 2.01.B).

Information about appointments that increase job security can be found at:

•Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP), Chapter 2, “Academic Staff Appointments”
Indefinite Appointment Guidelines

What conditions affect academic staff job security?

Most academic staff are initially on one-year, fixed term, renewable appointments. These appointments are renewable:

•As long as the employee provides satisfactory service
•Funds are available
•Directions or needs of the program do not change.

Once an initial evaluation period has been successfully completed, the employment of an academic staff member may be ended only for reasons of:

•Funding loss
•A budget or program decision that requires a program to be discontinued, curtailed, modified, or redirected
•Unsatisfactory performance

When are academic staff on fixed-term renewable appointments reviewed for increased job security?

ASPP 2.05 describes reviews of appointment status.

•Any academic staff member can be considered for a more secure appointment with a request initiated by the academic staff member or by the member’s unit at any time, no matter how long the individual has been with the university; and
•Academic staff members with five or more years of service are reviewed annually by the Dean for rolling-horizon or indefinite appointments when (1) they are an integral part of the unit’s continuing mission, (2) a funding source can be identified; and (3) the quality of their performance warrants it. This review is not currently being conducted.

Upon request, academic staff members with five years or more of service whose appointments are not granted increased job security following a review or request can receive written reasons why they were not granted increased job security.

Who actually approves appointment changes that increase job security?

There are three levels of approval. Your supervisor is the first level followed by the department chair/unit director and finally the dean/director of the school/college/division.

Your Human Resources department will know the current practice of approving appointment changes to increase job security.

What difference does my appointment type make in terms of notice of non-renewal?

Minimum notice periods for non-renewal are described in ASPP 3.05. The minimum non-renewal notice for academic staff on one-year, fixed-term, renewable appointments depends upon the years of UW-Madison academic staff service. The minimum notice ranges from three to 12 months.

For multiple-year appointments, minimum non-renewal notice extends to the current appointment end date.

Rolling-horizon appointments provide a much longer minimum non-renewal notice period because the appointment is extended daily for the term specified in the letter of appointment or re-appointment. For example, someone on a three year rolling-horizon has a three-year minimum non-renewal notice period from the date they are notified that the rolling horizon ends.

What about the minimum notice periods for lay-offs due to funding loss or budget or program decisions?

ASPP 5.04.B specifies the minimum notice periods for the various appointment types. For fixed-term appointments, minimum layoff notice ranges from one to six months depending upon years of UW-Madison academic staff service and the layoff reason.

Academic staff on rolling-horizon appointments (regardless of length) receive a minimum notice of six months for funding loss and twelve months for budget or program decisions.

How can I get further information about layoff status and my rights under layoff?

Layoff is defined as the termination of an academic staff member’s employment because of a funding loss or a budget or program decision either prior to the end of the current appointment or when proper notice of non-renewal under ASPP 3.05 cannot be given. See Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP), Chapter 5. If you have additional questions, you may contact your Dean’s office, the Secretary of the Academic Staff or the Office of Human Resources.

Are academic staff on fixed term renewable appointments supposed to get an annual reappointment letter?

Appointments for terms up to and including one year renew for the same term unless the academic staff member receives a written notice to the contrary. A letter of reappointment is not required. A letter of appointment is required if the term of appointment is changed, or there is a change in salary. Appointments for fixed-term appointments longer than one year, do not require a letter of reappointment during the original term. A letter is required upon renewal of an appointment for multiple years.  If a reappointment letter or non-renewal notice is not issued before the end of the original term, then the appointment becomes a one- year fixed- term renewable appointment. For specific policy information, see Academic Staff Policies and Procedures, ASPP 2.01.A.1.

Can I appeal my lay-off or non-renewal?

Yes. As provided for by Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP) Chapter 9.01, the Academic Staff Appeals Committee (ASAC), “…shall review or hear all appeals of nonrenewals (ASPP 3),  layoffs (ASPP 5), discipline and dismissals (ASPP 6), and grievances (ASPP 7). More information about the appeal process can be found at: Appeals.

Can academic staff serve on graduate student committees?

Doctoral committees/final oral examination committees must have at least 4 members representing more than one graduate program, 3 of whom must be UW–Madison graduate faculty or former UW–Madison graduate faculty up to one year after resignation or retirement. At least one of the 4 members must be from outside of the student’s major program or major field (often from the minor field).

MFA final committees must have at least 4 members, 3 of whom must be graduate faculty or former graduate faculty up to one year after resignation or retirement.

Master’s thesis committees must have at least 3 members, 2 of whom must be graduate faculty or former graduate faculty up to one year after resignation or retirement.

Non-thesis master’s committees must have at least one graduate faculty member from the student’s program.

The required 4th member of a doctoral committee/final oral examination committee, 4th member of an MFA committee, or 3rd member of a master’s thesis committee, as well as any additional members, all retain voting rights. They may be from any of the following categories, as approved by the program executive committee (or its equivalent): graduate faculty, faculty from a department without a graduate program, academic staff (including emeritus faculty), visiting faculty, faculty from other institutions, scientists, research associates, and other individuals deemed qualified by the executive committee (or its equivalent).

For more information see:

Can an academic staff member serve as a principal investigator?

The Chancellor has delegated to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education authority to grant approval for academic staff members to serve as principal investigators on extramural grants and contracts. Under these rules, an academic staff member may serve as Principal Investigator (PI) on proposals and awards by requesting Limited PI Status on a project-by-project basis, blanket PI status (granting eligibility for a certain period of time)  or, if eligible, by requesting Permanent Principal Investigator Status. For more information, see

Benefits and Compensation Plans

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who could I see to ask about questions regarding payroll and benefits?

Contact the payroll and benefits person for your unit/department, your School/College/Division human resources office or the campus Employee Benefits and Payroll Services offices.

What are sources of general information about compensation and benefits?

Information about compensation and benefits is available on the Office of Human Resources (OHR) web page.

Why do academic staff not receive the annual salary increase that is budgeted in the grant from which they are funded?

Levels of budgeted compensation increases allowable in grants are often specified by the funding agency irrespective of a particular university’s compensation policies. However, all grants are awarded contingent upon adherence to state legislation and UW policies, which provide for funding-neutral compensation structures and pay plans. As a result, the increases budgeted in the grant may be higher or lower than an academic staff member may be deemed eligible for from the UW-Madison. Although this may mean that the academic staff member gets a lower compensation increase than what was budgeted in the grant, it also may mean that there is some degree of insulation of the academic staff member from any negative changes in the research budget. For example, a funding agency’s decision to reduce the amount of an award in a particular grant year does not result in a downward pay rate adjustment for academic staff paid on that grant.

How are faculty and staff pay plans determined for the UW System?

The Board of Regents approves a pay plan recommendation that is forwarded to the Office of State Employment Relations (OSER) for approval. The Regents proposal is not binding. OSER’s recommendation is submitted to the legislature’s Joint Committee on Employment Relations (JCOER) for final approval.

How are pay plan increases determined?

Pay plans may be based on performance with a fixed percentage increase. If an employee is performing satisfactorily, then they receive the same percent increase as other employees.

What follows is a “generic” description of the process when pay plan increases are not distributed as a fixed percentage. Please seek details from your unit/department. The dean/director receives detailed instructions and a target percent increase number from the UW-Madison Administration. When all of the salary changes have been finally decided, the actual percent increase for all academic staff as a whole in the School/College/Division must be no greater than the target percent.

If the target percent increase were three percent, should I expect to get a three percent increase?

It depends on how campus decides to allocate the pay plan (see above for details).

A resolution passed by the Regents includes a guideline that solid performers should receive not less than one-third of the compensation plan. This does not imply or require an across-the-board increase for each individual who receives a “satisfactory” assessment. Rather, it reflects a policy that those individuals who have made positive, but not necessarily exceptional, contributions should not be excluded from pay plan increases. This will ensure that exceptional performers are adequately rewarded but not exclusively at the expense of the solid performers.

However, current Regent policy requires across-the-board increases when the pay plan increase is less than 2%. Then the increase is exactly 2%, each institution is given the option of implementing it on as a fixed percentage pay plan based on performance or a variable percentage plan plan based on performance.

For my own long-term career planning, what is the best way to get a salary increase?

You should focus on career development activities that result in promotions or job description changes and you should discuss advancement opportunities with your supervisor. You may need to apply for positions outside of your current work unit to advance. For specifics on how you can get a raise see the OHR Pay Adjustments Policy.

Where can I find out about the status of current UW System Budget deliberations?

The Office of the Chancellor maintains a State Budget webpage that contains current information about the budget deliberations.

What benefits do domestic partners receive?

The law that provided members and their domestic partners certain benefits when the member registered the domestic partnership has been changed by 2017 Wisconsin Act 59, which was signed into law as part of the 2017-2019 state biennial. Some previous benefits, including health insurance, will no longer be available to current or future domestic partners, and their children, as of January 1, 2018. The law does not allow the formation of any new domestic partnerships through the State of Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds effective September 22, 2017. 

Is the state Domestic Partner Registry a part of the domestic partner benefits provision?

No. This registry is unrelated to the domestic partner benefits administered by ETF. The state will no longer accept domestic partnership registrations on or after April 1, 2018. 

How will my domestic partnership be recognized by the ETF?

No. Act 59 grandfathers members for WRS death benefits and WRS Joint & Survivor Annuities. If the member does not name someone else on a beneficiary form, existing domestic partners will be the beneficiary and receive the full amount of death benefits payable from the member’s account. Domestic partners also have the right to be named a joint survivor on a member’s annuity if the domestic partnership has been in effective with ETF for at least one year.

Professional Development

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What are professional development opportunities or grants, and how can I apply for them?

The Professional Development and Recognition Committee (PDRC) has put together a list of professional development opportunities on campus Information about Academic Staff Professional Development grants that provide 50% of the cost of a professional development proposal can be found at the Secretary of the Academic Staff site: Grants & Awards.

Since Academic Staff Professional Development grants require matching funds by my unit, how can I be assured that there are funds available to support the grant?

Your best bet for support is to seek professional development that will clearly help your productivity on the job. With that in mind, talk with your supervisor to learn what support is possible. Together you can develop the best proposal for submission.

What are executive education grants and how can I apply for one?

Each year five course grants are made available through a competition for academic staff. The main objectives of the grant program are individual professional development, improved program quality and improved institutional effectiveness. Information about executive educations grants is at Grants & Awards.

What are the Academic Staff excellence awards?

Each year the Academic Staff Excellence awards are presented to nine academic staff in seven categories.  The awards are given to academic staff who exemplify the sustained excellence, outstanding achievement, and creative initiative that characterizes UW-Madison.  More information is available at Grants & Awards.

What is PDRC?

The Professional Development and Recognition Committee is a standing committee of the Academic Staff Assembly.

How can the Office of Learning and Talent Development help me?

The Office of Learning and Talent Development (LTD) has a two-fold mission: create professional development and training opportunities for faculty and staff that relate to the development of the organization, and to guide individuals within the organization in their personal and professional development as they prepare for a continuously changing workplace. LTD hosts over 1,000 learning opportunities a year to university staff, academic staff, faculty, and university guests. A learning transcript which captures all trainings/events that a UW-Madison employee participates in is available through the web site. LTD also hosts a website with information and resources for professional and career development. Visit

Governance and Service to the School/College and the University

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is shared governance and why is it important?

The University of Wisconsin has a proud tradition of shared governance. Since 1848, faculty and students have worked hand-in-hand to shape and implement the administrative policy that guides the academic experience. What has emerged and continues to evolve is a partnership that uniquely defines our institutional mission as a Land-Grant university with service to the public and the needs of the state.

As the university grew and changed, so did the infrastructure necessary to carry out our mission of teaching, research, and service. As faculty duties increased, different types of employees were needed to serve in various support roles and key positions to move the overall mission forward. These employees, now called the academic staff, also have a direct stake in the governance of the institution. Recognizing and enhancing this shared responsibility has been an evolutionary process that continues today.

In 2007, the University of Wisconsin academic staff celebrated a milestone of 20 years of shared governance. For a complete view of governance history, see, A Vision Shared.

According to the Brief History of the Academic Staff, the areas upon which academic staff governance participation has had influence include: The UW System Gender/Race Equity Project, harassment policies, parental leave policies, retirement legislation, Academic Staff Excellence Awards, an Academic Staff Endowment Fund, the ban on smoking in university buildings, eligibility to serve on Graduate School examination committees, “permanent” Principal Investigator status, the committee memberships mentioned above, and growing influence in the state Legislature and with the regents.

How can I get involved in academic staff/shared governance and the various governance committees? What opportunities are available?

Information about governance and participation opportunities is available here. There are also service opportunities in your college, school, department, or unit. One of them may be involvement in a CASI. Ask around to find out about these more local opportunities.

What is a CASI?

CASI is the acronym for Committee on Academic Staff Issues. The Academic Staff Assembly at its January 12, 1998 meeting passed Academic Staff Document #210, titled “School, College and Division Committees on Academic Staff Issues (CASI)”. This document calls for each school, college, or division of the University of Wisconsin-Madison to establish a committee to advise the Dean or Director on issues pertaining to or affecting academic staff members in that unit. “The academic staff of each school, college or division shall establish a Committee on Academic Staff Issues, which shall advise the dean or director on the formulation and review, and shall be represented in the development of all policies and procedures concerning academic staff members of the school, college or division, including personnel matters.”

Members of a school or college CASI are elected or appointed. Membership provides opportunities for advocating for academic staff and for helping to address academic staff concerns. Find out if you have a CASI and make your interest known. If you don’t have an active CASI, you can even help start one! For more information, contact the Secretary of the Academic Staff at

What is ASPRO? MASN? UFAS? Do I have to join?

ASPRO is the Academic Staff Professionals Representation Organization (, a non-profit, professional organization that represents the UW-System academic staff and their interests with the State Legislature, the Governor’s office, the Board of Regents, and the general public. ASPRO is the official lobbying and public relations arm of the academic staff. It is not a union nor does it negotiate or bargain terms of employment.

The Madison Academic Staff Network (MASN) ( is an organization of members of the academic staff of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW- Madison). It aims to further the professional status of the Madison academic staff, share ideas on items of mutual interest relating to professional status, conditions of employment, and compensation, support and promote a diverse and inclusive environment for all academic staff and to establish communications with other identifiable university groups having similar objectives. It is not a union nor does it negotiate or bargain terms of employment.

United Faculty and Academic Staff (UFAS) ( is a labor union democratically organized to represent its members who are faculty, academic staff, and postdoctoral fellows at the UW-Madison and UW-Extension. UFAS is an independent affiliate of the American Federation of Teachers, Local #223, AFL-CIO. It does not negotiate contracts, but does provide other member services, such as legal representation. It is not a certified representative of faculty or academic staff or postdoctoral fellows.

Academic staff are not required to join any of these organizations.

What is the support for academic staff participation in governance? (under review)

Each September, the Chancellor sends a memorandum to deans, directors, and department chairs to ask them to make it possible for academic staff to participate in governance activities by serving on appropriate committees or governance bodies such as the Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC), the Academic Staff Assembly, and the Committees on Academic Staff Issues (CASIs). If you are interested in participating in governance activities, you should discuss your interest with your supervisor. Or, seek advice from current members. They are listed on each group’s particular website.


  • Memorandum from Chancellor (example from 2013)
  • Section 36.09 (4m) of the Wisconsin Statutes (as revised on August 17, 1985) authorizes shared governance participation by members of the academic staff stating “The academic staff members of each institution, subject to the responsibilities and powers of the board, the president and the chancellor and faculty of the institution, shall be active participants in the immediate governance of and policy development for the institution. The academic staff members have primary responsibility for the formulation and review, and shall be represented in the development of all policies and procedures concerning academic staff members, including academic staff personnel matters.”
  • On September 6, 1985, the Board of Regents (Resolution 3359) directed each chancellor to implement academic staff governance participation.
  • Academic Staff Articles of Organization and a Faculty Senate Resolution (March 2, 1987) encourage and support academic staff participation.
  • Academic Staff Governance: A Brief History.

How does the policy on effort certification affect my ability to participate in shared governance?

The effort certification policy may constrain the time that an academic staff member supported 100% on federal funding can participate in shared governance activities . You should check with your department/unit or school/college/division to find out what the current campus policy is.

As part of the University’s stewardship responsibilities in managing extramural funds, effort must be certified for all individuals who receive salary support from a sponsored project or who expend committed effort on a sponsored project without receiving salary support from the sponsor. Faculty and academic staff certify their effort every six months.

For more information regarding the effort certification policy, see There are links on this website to the University’s policy and guidelines for effort certification.

Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP)

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP), and why is it important to me?

ASPP defines some of your rights and responsibilities and describes procedures for academic staff on such issues as appointments, job security, layoffs and nonrenewals, discipline, performance reviews, personnel files, appeals and grievances. ASPP also provides details about the Academic Staff Assembly and committees of the university. It was written by academic staff for academic staff as part of the governance process.

Where can I find ASPP?

Copies are available online at Policies

What is the difference between non-renewal and layoff? What can I do if either one happens to me?

While both actions signal the end of an appointment, the primary difference between them are the amount of notice required and certain employee benefits. Non-renewals may happen due to performance issues of an academic staff member. See Chapters 3 (nonrenewal) and 5 (layoff) of ASPP.  Appeal rights are laid out in Chapters 3.06 and 5.05.

What can I do if I believe I have been treated unfairly or have another employment problem?

Chapter 7.01 describes the informal resolution process. If that does not work, Chapter 7.02 covers the grievance procedure. ASPP also includes information on discipline (Chapter 6) and complaints against academic staff members (Chapter 8). Both employer and employee issues are covered because academic staff serve in both roles.

How will my performance be evaluated? Do the results of this performance evaluation affect my pay?

Chapter 10.01 says, “Academic staff shall be reviewed annually in a manner appropriate to their work setting and responsibilities.” Units are encouraged to develop, implement, and maintain review procedures that best meet their needs. The campus has a policy regarding performance evaluations ( Chapter 10.07 states that an academic staff member’s annual merit increment shall take cognizance of the results of performance reviews. The annual UW budget instructions, which change from year to year, contain further information about merit increases.

Do I have any job security?

Most academic staff members have one-year renewable appointments with required notice periods if the position is to end. See Chapter 3.05 (nonrenewal) and 5.05 (layoff). Longer-term appointments may be available to you at any point in your career. See Chapter 2.01, types of appointment. Once you have been a member of the academic staff for five years, ASPP requires that you be reviewed annually for a longer-term appointment.

What is my personnel file? Can I see it? What control do I have over what is in it?

Personnel files contain only information relevant to your status and performance as an employee and to the commitments made to and by you. Chapter 11 includes information on contents (11.01), access (11.02), how items are added, removed, or modified, and other pertinent issues. You may request a copy of your personnel file from your department/unit human resources.

What are some important issues and benefits not covered by ASPP, and where do I find information?

FRINGE BENEFITS: For information on vacation, sick leave, retirement, and health, life, and income continuation insurance, see the benefits booklet you received when you were hired. See also the Employee Compensation and Benefits Services Web site:

YOUR OFFICIAL UNIVERSITY TITLE: See the Unclassified Title Guideline (note: this will change under the Title and Total Compensation Project) (


DISABILITIES: Contact your school/college/division Division Level Representative in your dean or director’s office, or the Equity and Diversity Resource Center, or see

HARASSMENT AND DISCRIMINATION: Contact the Office of Compliance.

Where else can I find help?

The Employee Assistance Office provides consultation on personal and workplace issues and concerns in a confidential environment. The Ombuds Office provides confidential place to collaboratively explore complaints, clarify issues, and consider options and resources to address your concerns. The Office of Human Resources develops and administers UW-Madison personnel policies and programs for UW-Madison employees. Staff members there also interpret policies and procedures and consult on various employment issues.

Where do I go if I don’t understand ASPP?

Many departments have a human resources person who is familiar with ASPP. If yours does not, contact your dean’s or director’s office human resources person or the Office of Human Resources.