The Professional Development Program Sponsorship Fund offers one-time grants of up to $5000 for on-campus or local professional development activities which are sponsored by UW-Madison and are intended to benefit multi-unit groups of UW-Madison academic staff. In keeping with existing UW System funding guidelines, requests for Professional Development Program Sponsorship Funds may not exceed half the total cost of the professional development activity, up to a maximum award of $5000. Professional development program planners are expected to identify matching funds or revenue sources for at least half of the overall cost of the activity.
The Academic Staff Professional Development Program Sponsorship has the following objectives:
- Provide additional financial support for academic staff professional development activities;
- Promote cross-campus collaboration among academic staff;
- Create efficiencies and leverage resources to benefit groups of UW-Madison academic staff;
- To provide a mechanism for formal and informal groups of UW-Madison academic staff to create customized professional development experiences outside of typical constructs; and
- Respond to changing professional development needs and delivery mechanisms
Applications to the Academic Staff Professional Development Program Sponsorship Fund should use the same application form and deadlines as the Academic Staff Professional Development Grants.
Spring 2017 Academic Staff Professional Development Grants – RFP for Fall 2018 activities. Activities have to begin between July 1, 2017, and December 31, 2017.
- Request for Proposals (PDF)
- Grants Program Overview (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- “Writing a Successful Professional Development Grant” presentation – two informational Brown Bag Lunches will be offered:
– Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 12:00-1:00 pm, Union South
– Thursday, February 9, 2017, 12:00-1:00 pm, 1309 HSLC
- View Brown Bag Presentation (PDF)
- Online Submission System: https://apps.ohr.wisc.edu/staffdev/
- View Past PD Grant Submissions (Examples include only narratives and budgets, not attachments)
Example 1 (Updated 02/2015)
Example 2 (Updated 02/2015)
- March 10, 2017 – Online Proposal Submitted Electronically to department chair/unit head
- March 17, 2017 – Department chairs and unit heads electronically approve proposals
- March 31, 2017 – School/College/Division Dean/Director electronically approves proposal
- March 31, 2017 – School/College/Division Dean/Director emails ranked list of applications to the Secretary of the Academic Staff (if applicable)
- Week of May 8, 2017 – Announcement of the grants (tentative)
Proposal criteria includes: relevance and justification of activity; use and impact; program and university benefits; and overall quality of application. A sample scoring sheet is available here: Scoring Sheet
Professional Development Grant Report
- Outline of Professional Development Grant Report (DOC)
- Reports for Spring 2017 Academic Staff Professional Development Grants are due July 31, 2017
- Reports for Fall 2017 Academic Staff Professional Development Grants are due January 31, 2018
The next competition will be announced on or around September 13, 2017, for activities in January-June 2018.
Questions? Contact Jake Smith, Office of the Secretary of the Academic Staff, 263-2985, firstname.lastname@example.org