There are seven standing committees of the Academic Staff Assembly in addition to the Academic Staff Executive Committee, which operates slightly differently from the policies described below.
- No more than two members may be from the same Assembly district.
- No more than three members may be from the same school, college or division.
- Except for the Nominating Committee’s own slate, the Nominating Committee prepares the initial slates and final ballots for all elections.
- The Nominating Committee prepares a final ballot with a number of nominees larger than the number of seats to be filled.
- Nominations come from the Assembly and/or the academic staff at large.
- Nominees may be added to the initial slate by motion from the Assembly floor or by petition of 10 academic staff members.
Elections are held in the spring, by written ballot of the Assembly at the meeting following that of the presentation of the initial slates. Results are announced during that meeting.
The committee chair is elected by majority vote at the first committee meeting of each year. In the case of a tie vote, the ASEC chair will cast the deciding vote. The chair may attend some ASEC meetings to inform ASEC of the committee’s work.
Vacancies are filled by appointment by ASEC from a list of nominees supplied by the Nominating Committee. Vacancy appointments serve until the next regular election for that seat.
Terms of Office
Terms run from July 1 through June 30.